passed from this earth March 6, 2019
Jimmy (“Brother Wax”) started with SEPTA on February 5, 1979 in the Revenue Department, moving into management as a dispatcher in Transportation. He was a long-time dispatcher in the Callowhill District before picking the Allegheny District from which he retired December 1, 2015. When he became a manager he joined TWU Local 290, and served as First Vice President for several years.
He was an active member of the Masons, having been a Past Master Light of Elmwood #45. He was Holy Royal Arch Mason also enshrined at Minaret Temple.
He will be sadly missed by his many friends and colleagues.
If you have changed your address over the past year, please notify our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are getting ready to mail out the daily planners and we want to be sure you get yours.
It would also be helpful if you send in your personal email address. We want to be able to communicate with our members efficiently.
May 21, 2018
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
International Transport Workers of America, AFL-CIO held a Presidents’ Council Conference in Boston May 16 through May 19, 2018. Local 290 was represented by myself, Craig Holmes, President, and our First Vice President, Fred Hoffman.
Presidents of Locals from all over the United States as well as the Executive Council Committee of the International were in attendance. This was one of the most informative meetings I have ever attended. We heard reports on the Janus Bill and how this Bill is trying to destroy labor as we know it. Some of the classes and workshops we attended:
1. How to hold an effective union meeting.
2. A report from the veterans committee and on HR 506 Bill.
3. The changes in drug and alcohol testing and previously prohibited drugs that are now allowed.
4. A report on the Human and Civil Rights Committee.
5. A report on the Women’s Council Committee
6. All local unions were given the opportunity to report on the state of their respective locals and their currently pressing issues, i.e. contract talks.
7. A public speaking class for engaging with our membership.
8. A workshop on handling grievances.
These are just some of the classes and workshops that were held. The International made it clear that under our new International President, John Samuelson, they are willing and able to assist the locals on any issue that should arise. Fred and I were able to talk to other presidents and see that we all share in some of the same problems.
A full report will be given at the June 23rd mass meeting. Please visit our website.
Craig and Fred